[Samba] How to convert local profile to server profile

ml at bortal.de ml at bortal.de
Fri Mar 7 08:06:55 GMT 2008

Hello List,

i have set up a Samba PDC and it is running smoothly.
Now i would like to convert my Windows Vista Profile (which i have been
using locale for months now) to a server profile.

How i tried to solve this or convert the profile:

1) In the system properties of Vista you can "change" the type of the
user profile. Unfortinatelly the server based profile is greyed out at
my user. Even if i log into vista with the administrator user.

2) I added my username to the pdc, logged in and off again (to make sure
the permissions of the profile folder is okay). Now a server based naked
profile exists. Then i have deleted its content and copied ALL files
from my local VIsta profile into my pdc users profile folder. When i now
log in my Vits box still does not use the server profile.

How can i convert a local profile to a server baed one?
How does this work for XP and Vista?

Thanks, Mario