[Samba] Problems running samba in vmware

Douglas VanLeuven roamdad at sonic.net
Thu Mar 6 23:12:42 GMT 2008

Adam Zimmer wrote:
> At the moment I have enabled timeSync with vmware tools.
>
> In the general area of time keeping on the host, I added the following
> settings which avoided errors about the RTC missing interrupts:
> host.usefastclock=false
> host.cpukHz=2400000
> host.useTSC=true
> ptsc.useTSC=true
>
> I have two other machines similarly configured (with the exception of
> running other linux applications not samba).
>
> Ntpdate seems to be installed as it is part of the ubuntu-server default
> config. However, my other machines seem to run it ok. If anything they
> fall behind a bit and the vmware sync keeps them up-to-date.
>

> Ian McDonald wrote:
>>>>

>> How are your time sync options set for the VM? Is it keeping time ok?
>> (note,AFAIR, you're not supposed to run NTP within a VM.).

True.  I refer to this document from vmware.
http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vmware_timekeeping.pdf

Generally, ntp & vmware timesync fight each other.  The usual method is
to turn off the ntp service, figure out how to minimize interrupts,
allow the clock to run a little slow and allow vmware timesync to bump
up the time when it gets about 1 minute slow.

There's another thread that mentions issues with on-board nics and
drivers.  Over the years, I've bumped into that myself.  To the extent I
 try and use host-only and route whenever possible.  That's worked
better for me in generic usage.

Regards, Doug