[Samba] Problems running samba in vmware

Wes Deviers wdevie at hrcsb.org
Thu Mar 6 22:12:47 GMT 2008

I had a similar problem using a machine running 3 VMs on a Linux host
(Debian).  I don't know what was actually wrong, but switching to a
non-onboard NIC helped considerably.  My working theory was that the
combination of a crappy onboard chipset + promiscuous operation + VMWare
Magic was causing it to drop packets, or generate too many interrupts,
or something.  As is always the case, I didn't have enough time to
properly debug it, just fix it.

Another theory I had, totally unsubstantiated but possible, was samba &
network interaction with the VMWare clock skewing problem under Linux 2.6.

I'd try putting a high-quality NIC on the machine and see what happens.
Another thing you might try is loading up the VMWare drive in VirtualBox
and setting it up that way.  VirtualBox uses Linux bridging instead of
VMWare Magic, and I've seen it fix some things that VMWare didn't handle
nicely.

Wes