[Samba] server-side AND client-side symlinks?

Chuck Kollars ckollars9 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 6 04:38:39 GMT 2008

How can I have both server-side and client-side
symlinks?

Server-side symlinks are needed for example when what
appears to the user to be a single mounted directory
is actually tens of little pieces tied together by
symlinks. Having those symlinks coalesces many mounts
that would all have to be perfect in parallel into a
single mount that's either fully successful or not.

Client-side symlinks are needed for example when an
application rearranges names and directories into a
more understandable outline.

Each symlink has a "context" - server-side links
usually make no sense if interpreted on the client,
and client-side links usually make no sense if
interpreted on the server.

It appears the "unix/linux extensions" are all or
none. With them on, all symlinks are visible to and
interpreted by the _client_. With them off, all
symlinks are invisibly interpreted by the _server_
(and the client isn't even allowed to create any).

How can I note which symlinks are server-side and
which are client-side, and have Samba interpret the
server-side ones internally yet at the same time make
the client-side ones visible to the user?

thanks!

-Chuck Kollars