[Samba] samba-3.2-pre2 feedback

Michael Adam ma at sernet.de
Wed Mar 5 22:55:54 GMT 2008

Hi Christian,

thanks for your feedback!

Christian McHugh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As with the last few releases, compiling on solaris requires that I edit
> the Makefile and remove instances of "-z text"
>
> Also, once compiling and installing, it seems unable to start:
> ld.so.1: smbd: fatal: libtalloc.so: open failed: No such file or directory
> Killed
> ld.so.1: nmbd: fatal: libtalloc.so: open failed: No such file or directory
> Killed
>
> This is fixed by adding /usr/local/samba/lib to my LD_LIBRARY_PATH, but I
> don't recall ever having to do that in the past.

That is right: Starting with 3.2.0pre2, we build and use some
subsystems internally as shared libs (currently libtalloc, libtdb,
libwbclient, libnetapi). If you want, you can turn this off by
specifying "--disable-shared-libs" as a parameter to configure.

> And when I attempt to run samba applications other libraries are not found:
> ./net ads join
> ld.so.1: net: fatal: bin/libtdb.so: open failed: No such file or directory
> I was stuck at this point, but another recompile with gcc4/lib in the
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH and a --disable-pie at configure time seem to have fixed it.

Oh, that is a bug: @LIBTDB_SHARED@ should be changed to @LIBTDB_LIBS@
in the $(LIBNETAPI_SHARED_TARGET) target in Makefile.in.
I just fixed that in 3398403c22c0f39b - will be in the next preview.

> My last issue is that I seem to be unable to join the domain again.
> net ads join -U mmchugh
> Enter mmchugh's password:
> Failed to join domain: failed to set machine spn: Constraint violation
>  net rpc join -S students.froot.nau.edu -U mmchugh
> Enter mmchugh's password:
> [2008/03/06 05:02:47,  0] utils/net_rpc_join.c:net_rpc_join_newstyle(393)
>   Error in domain join verification (credential setup failed):
> NT_STATUS_INVALID_COMPUTER_NAME
>
> Unable to join domain NAU-STUDENTS.
>

> This is on a machine that was previously joined with 3.0.28

Could you provide level 10 logs and network sniffs (truss) of
this problem? Maybe the samba-technical mailing list or bugzilla
would be a more appropriate place for this.

Thanks again for your feedback - much appreciated!

Cheers - Michael

--
Michael Adam <ma at sernet.de>  <obnox at samba.org>
phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9