[Samba] XP spontaneous reboot after folder rename on samba share.

Richard DeWald RN rdewald at hospicenyc.org
Wed Mar 5 14:27:54 GMT 2008

I just want to get this information into the mailing list archives.

In my situation I had Windows XP SP2 workstations mapped to a samba
share on a debian etch stable server.  My corporate overloards changed
our AV product to Norton.  After that, when users would rename a file
or a folder on the samba share the workstaion would suddenly reboot
(and not execute the rename).  The samba server was a standalone, it
had no role in the domain.  Though apparently the behavior can also
manifest when logging onto a domain, that's not what was happening to
me.

Fix requires the hot-patch described in Microsoft KB article 906866
and a registry edit described in the article.

The problem occurs because the Mup.sys driver assumes that there are
no more than three filter drivers running at the same time.  Mup.sys
handles Distributed File System file I/O requests.  If there are four
or more filter drivers running (antivirus, encryption, etc), the
location buffer overflows and it throws a Stop error.

Thanks to list member John Kane for the offline assist.