[Samba] Curious: Windows -> Samba 4 transition path?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Mar 5 09:38:50 GMT 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-04 at 13:46 -0800, Douglas VanLeuven wrote:
> Ken D'Ambrosio wrote:
> > Hi, all.  I see that the second alpha has been released, and that makes me
> > wonder about one or two things:
> >
> > - Can you have a Samba 4 box be a DC alongside a Windows DC?
> > - Failing that, is there a transition path from Windows AD to Samba 4?
> >
> > If either of these are true, it would save a heck of a lot of work,
> > instead of having to rejoin a couple hundred clients to the domain.

> Someone else will have to answer about samba4 as a DC with an MS DC in
> harmony, although I wouldn't think that would be a goal.

We have parts of this technology working, because that is what we will
use for the new vampire code (the native AD replication work was by
metze, for his thesis).

Having two-way replication will require some more work, but this is
certainly practical.  Production sites might start by having Samba as a
'read only DC', until they are happy we are not propagating invalid data
to the network.

Andrew Bartlett

--
Andrew Bartlett