[Samba] CENTOS4.6+SAMBA3.0.25+FEDORA-DS

suphakit Chamwuthipricha suphakit at bluebottle.com
Wed Mar 5 06:32:14 GMT 2008

Hi
         I am new to linux & Samba. I would like to setup Samba as a
domain controller and using Fedora-ds for authentication.
         I have read some documents from www.samba.org but I am still in
the mist.

         Here is  my dumb questions about Samba as follows.

        1. Is CENTOS4.6+SAMBA3.0.25 as PDC +FEDORA-DS possible?
        2. Is this  HOWTO from
http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Howto:Samba  sufficient
information? please suggest more
        3. Since I tried to integrate Samba+Fedora-ds ,I am always stuck
at this step "net groupmap add".
            Does these command need to be done? What will happen if we
skip them?
            # net groupmap add rid=2512 ntgroup='Domain Admins'
unixgroup='Domain Admins'
            # net groupmap add rid=2513 ntgroup='Domain Users'
unixgroup='Domain Users'
            # net groupmap add rid=2514 ntgroup='Domain Guests'
unixgroup='Domain Guests'
            # net groupmap add rid=2515 ntgroup='Domain Computers'
unixgroup='Domain Computers'

            3.1 Linux won't allow me to add unix group name with space
like Domain Admins ,can we change to DomainAdmins (no space)
                  as I tried to add unix group DomainAdmins in linux box
and run the command , It is failed.
                  # net groupmap add rid=2512 ntgroup='Domain Admins'
unixgroup='DomainAdmins'

                I also noticed that this somehow relates to smb.conf file
                 Some source says:
                ldap admin dn = cn=Directory Manager
                or
                ldap admin dn = cn=Directory Manager,dc=mycompany,dc=com

               3.1.1 If I use this one  ldap dn = cn=Directory Manager
                        The result of net groupmap show failed to add
group map
                3.1.2 If I use this one ldap admin dn = cn=Directory
Manager,dc=mycompany,dc=com
                The result of net groupmap show cannot find object
"cn=Directory Manager,dc=mycompany,dc=com"
            3.2 Where does the command looks for ntgroup="Domain Admins'
to map with unixgroup=Domain Admins
            3.3 Some source say the net group map should add type=d at
the end of the line ,is it true?
                   # net groupmap add rid=2512 ntgroup='Domain Admins'
unixgroup='Domain Admins' type=d
            4. Does this line in my smb.conf look ok? (I installed Samba
& Fedora-ds in same machine)
                passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://192.168.100.7

            5. Does these line need to be included in smb.conf file?
What will happen if we don't include them?
                ldap idmap suffix = ou=Users
                ldap passed sync = Yes
            6. Does user add scripts need to be included in smb.conf file?
                How it works and when these lines are used.
                What will happen if we don't include them.

                # Useradd scripts
                    add user script =
/usr/share/doc/samba-3.0.25b/LDAP/smbldap-tools-0.9.2/smbldap-useradd -m %u
                    delete user script =
/usr/share/doc/samba-3.0.25b/LDAP/smbldap-tools-0.9.2/smbldap-userdel -r %u
                    add group script =
/usr/share/doc/samba-3.0.25b/LDAP/smbldap-tools-0.9.2/smbldap-groupadd %g
                    delete group script =
/usr/share/doc/samba-3.0.25b/LDAP/smbldap-tools-0.9.2/smbldap-groupdel %g
                    add user to group script
=/usr/share/doc/samba-3.0.25b/LDAP/smbldap-tools-0.9.2/smbldap-groupmod
-G %g %u
                    add machine script =
/usr/share/doc/samba-3.0.25b/LDAP/smbldap-tools-0.9.2/smbldap-useradd -w %u
                    idmap uid = 15000-20000
                    idmap gid = 15000-20000
                    passwd program
=/usr/share/doc/samba-3.0.25b/LDAP/smbldap-tools-0.9.2/smbldap-passwd %u

            7.  What does this command do?  Do  we have to do this with
every users?
                   # pdbedit -U $( net getlocalsid | sed 's/SID for
domain YOURWORKGROUP is: //' )-500 -u Administrator -r

            8. In many HOWTO from website ,they state about PAM and NSS
config with ldap ,do we need it ,can we skip this?

            9. I hardly find the instruction on how to set up Samba as
PDC + Fedora-ds ,please advise]

Thank you and Best Regards,
Tom