[Samba] Printer properties dialog looks and behaves different if driver is installed on samba or on XP

Hansjörg Maurer Hansjoerg.Maurer at dlr.de
Tue Mar 4 15:30:05 GMT 2008

Hi

I am using a  HP LJ 4350 on samba 3.0.28 with cups as backend.
We tried the HP PCL6  driver (not CUPS PS drivers), because it offers
the possibility to print for example the first page
on a different  sheet from a different tray.
This works fine, if a installe the driver on windows XP.
If I install the driver on a samba server, a testpage shows no
difference concerning driver files.
But if i try to set the default settings of the samba-printer from a xp
client, this dialog logs different from the dialog, which I see from the
same client,
when accessing the same printer installed on another XP workstation.
And when I try to use the feature descriped above (first page from
different tray) it does not work any more.

What can be the reason for this.
Is the part of the driver, which assigns the first page a different tray
something, which is executed on the server, which is not possible on samba?
I am printing into a raw cups printer, so that cups did not manipulate
the file any more.

Is there another way to get the feature descriped above working with
cups and cups PS driver (added by cupsaddsmb)?

regards

Hansjörg

Deutsches Zentrum fuer Luft- und Raumfahrt e.V.
in der Helmholtz-Gemeinschaft

Institut fuer Robotik und Mechatronik

Dr. Hansjörg Maurer

LAN- und Systemmanager