[Samba] Strange behaviour of Samba3 with wireless clients

Jason Haar Jason.Haar at trimble.co.nz
Tue Mar 4 03:48:59 GMT 2008

Carlo Sogono wrote:
> I have built my own wireless AP with Ubuntu 7.10 and an Atheros-based
> wireless card. My problem is that I can't access any of the Samba
> shares with my wireless clients...they can all search for the server,
> get prompted for a login then it just hangs and eventually times out.

Just a guess, but check your client MTU settings. Historically we've
seen problems with CIFS over VPN (really a Kerberos "fat packet" problem
rather than CIFS itself) and wireless, and MTU issues were to blame.
PMTU discovery/etc is meant to take care of such things, but - again -
we've found issues with DSL links - which I see you mentioning too.

Change your client's MTU to 1300 and see if the problem disappears. Then
reduce it on the Samba server involved instead - as that's an easier
solution than touching every client.

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417