[Samba] Strange behaviour of Samba3 with wireless clients

Carlo Sogono carlo.sogono at anchor.com.au
Tue Mar 4 03:08:51 GMT 2008

I have built my own wireless AP with Ubuntu 7.10 and an Atheros-based
wireless card. My problem is that I can't access any of the Samba shares
with my wireless clients...they can all search for the server, get
prompted for a login then it just hangs and eventually times out.

The same clients, when using their LAN ports to connect to the same
server, are able to do everything--browse and access Samba shares. I
have experimented with the smb.conf file to include the wireless AP's
device (ath0), subnet and even allowing it to bind on all interfaces.
During those times, samba *does* bind on the device/device's IP when
doing 'netstat -tln'.

I have also checked my firewall settings. The rules I have for my local
LAN on eth1 is identical to ath0 so I don't see a problem there. In fact
I can do everything on my wireless clients except Samba.

Here are some details of my setup:
Ubuntu 7.10 server
eth0 - ADSL modem; running pppoe
eth1 - local LAN
ath0 - wireless LAN
madwifi drivers for Atheros chips
hostapd to handle WPA2+PSK authentication
iptables for IP filtering
samba3

Am I missing something here? Thanks in advance.

Carlo