[Samba] Samba and /etc/passwd

Shain Miley smiley at npr.org
Mon Mar 3 19:30:14 GMT 2008

Hello all,
I was wondering if anyone knew a way to configure samba so that it does
not use /etc/passwd for a list of users,group id's,etc.  I am currently
setting up a server to authenticate against AD.  I have that configured
fine.  The overall goal here is to provide a samba backup to our
existing fileserverserver.  Here is the problem:  we need a way to sync
the info in /etc/passwd between servers, these two serves will have a
different list of users,groups,etc.  So instead of writing a script that
will compare the two and add the ones as needed (as well as do a bunch
of other cleanup work) I thought maybe I could have samba point to
/home/user_name/passwd instead...samba has what it needs..and the
accounts on the server itself (/etc/passwd) can be left untouched.

Thanks in advance,

Shain