[Samba] SID Question/Issue

mrosamba at eastgranby.k12.ct.us mrosamba at eastgranby.k12.ct.us
Mon Mar 3 15:58:10 GMT 2008

Since about 1998 we have been running a samba PDC to serve student PC's in
our high school and middle school.  We also have had a backup server,
normally not running samba, which rsyncs from the samba PDC several times
per day.  If we have a failure and needed to get the backup running, it is
a simple script basically changing the IP address and activating samba on
the backup server.

Now we want to turn the backup server into a domain member server which I
assume means that it needs its own SID. So the question is how do I create
a new SID?  Is there a utility or should I uninstall/reinstall samba? Or
is there another way?

We still are simple and use smbpasswd.

Mark Orenstein
East Granby, CT School System