[Samba] diagnosing broken pipe errors

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Mar 3 01:40:56 GMT 2008

On Tue, 2008-02-26 at 16:20 -0500, Ernie Buford wrote:
> I'm hoping to get some guidance diagnosing intermittent smbd
> errors that have been cropping up in the last 2 months.  They
> are sporadic, difficult to reproduce, and don't reveal much of
> a pattern so far except that the majority are generated by a
> couple of clients, although several clients appear to be
> affected.  Typical symptom on the client is a hang when
> attempting to look at the share in Windows Explorer, or
> table data suddenly disappears when working in MS Access,
> or sometimes no symptom at all.  It seems the most repeatable
> error condition is when a drive is first mapped after bootup,
> but even that is not consistent.

> I've found some indication via web search that this might be
> related to network problems, so that's one reason I'm
> hoping for diagnostic tips.  I'm aware of no recent network
> changes that might be causing this problem, and I've tried
> the worst-behaving machine on a different ethernet cable
> and switch port with no improvement.

I would replace your network cards and switches with better quality
gear, if possible.

Broken pipe errors should not occour on a LAN, unless the client is
rebooted.  Multiuser control of MS Access can be a particular pain in
this regard, and many network set 'veto oplock files' to exclude *.mdb.
This prevents oplocks (which require server-initiated communication)
from being granted.

The getpeername error may well be harmless, simply due to Windows being
silly and connecting to both 139 and 445, then dropping one.

Andrew Bartlett

--
Andrew Bartlett
http://samba.org/~abartlet/