[Samba] Re: Samba/LDAP Question

Steve Thompson smt at vgersoft.com
Sat Mar 1 16:06:30 GMT 2008

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008, John Drescher wrote:

> This is why I have 4 LDAP servers. One master and the rest secondary
> that sync with the master using synchrepl. Its really easy to add an
> LDAP server to just about any linux box and it really does not need
> that much power especially if it is one of many.

I second this. The syncrepl stuff appears to be as solid as a rock and is
very easy to set up; waaaaaay better than the old slurpd. I went from a
master and no slaves to a master and two slaves, using syncrepl (my very
first time with syncrepl), in under an hour. I have since added a third
slave in about 15 minutes. This setup has been running for about 12 months
now with no problems at all (OpenLDAP 2.3.32 on CentOS 4.5, x86_64). I
have a fairly small setup: about 6000 dn's, and about 250 Linux, Mac and
Windows clients, spread out across two slaves, and each slapd uses about
15-20 minutes of CPU time per day (Xeon 5160, 3.0GHz). No-one ever queries
the third slave: I just shut slapd down on it four times a day, slapcat
the database as a backup, and restart slapd. Never needed the backup.

This software is so good it's scary :)

Steve