[Samba] File Change notification in Samba

Mon Jun 30 07:32:14 GMT 2008

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 12:06:02PM +0530, Prateek.Mathur at lntinfotech.com wrote:
>         I wanted to know is Samba able to notify any changes made to the
> shared directory or files to the clients instantly or not?
> If I change/edit the file in a shared path and some clients are viewing
> that file will the changes get reflected to them instantly without doing a
> to refresh by the clients.
> I came across sumthing called  CHANGE NOTIFY in samba configuration
> parameters but i m not sure how to make use of it as it is set to YES by
> default.
>
> Any help in this area as to how we can enable change notification in SAMBA
> will be extremely useful.

In recent Samba versions it should work fine. If it does not
work with 3.0.28a or later, please tell us.

But please be aware that recent Windows client seem to have
a caching policy that goes beyond notify, so that although
Samba sends notifications Windows would not update the
explorer Window. Someone on this list could reproduce it
against a Windows server as well.

Volker