[Samba] Weird problems with OpenOffice

Sistemas sistemas at dedaloingenieros.com
Sun Jun 29 15:49:21 GMT 2008

Hi:

1. Samba PDC and OpenOffice:

I've an strange problem with OpenOffice (2.3 and 2.4) and Samba as PDC (Debian
version 3.0.24-6etch10): I have a Windows XP Professional (SP3) connected to
a Samba PDC. When I click on a document located in my desktop, OO seems to
freeze for more than one minute, and then it loads the document. If I try to
load more documents, they load normally.

But, and this is the weird thing, if I login in the local domain (not in the
Samba PDC), and I make OO to load the same document in the same location, it
takes less than twenty seconds. This situation is reproducible every time.

2. Samba PDC and Microsoft Office XP:

In a similar setup like above (in another location). When I browse the network
drives and I click on an Office .XLS (.DOC, or so), Excel seems to freezes
for minutes and then loads the document, but if you start Excel, and then you
load the document from Excel, it is loaded near instantly.

Has anybody had similar problems?

Greets and thanks in advance.
Rafael J. Alcántara Pérez.
--