[Samba] Remote Shares

Robert Steinmetz AIA rob at steinmetznet.com
Sat Jun 28 16:01:03 GMT 2008

It is possible to define a samba share as share on another machine using
\\MACHINE\share.

Can some one please describe how this process works and whether once the
share is mounted if this represents a performance drag over a mount
directly to the remote machine?

I am migrating data from one set of servers to another and it seemed to
me that the simplest way to transition would be to simply edit the
smb.conf to have all users start using the new server and later complete
the transition of other services (logins etc) in due time.
--
Robert Steinmetz, AIA
Principal