[Samba] Domain Member Server Problem

Robert Steinmetz AIA rob at steinmetznet.com
Sat Jun 28 14:22:06 GMT 2008

I have a problem with a Member Server on Samba 3.0.28a running on Ubuntu
Heady. Both systems were recently upgraded  using Ubuntu's automated
upgrade. It's also possible I broke a working configuration by accident.

The shares on the Member server are visible on the XP clients and some
users can authenticate properly. At least one user on one XP desktop
cannot. The shares are visible but attempting to connect gives a login
window and no login works.

The PDC (Thelma) also serves as Password Server and Wins Server. Here is
the Globals section of smb.conf

[global]
        workgroup = ATLANTA
        server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)
        password server =
        passdb backend = tdbsam
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n*password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
        syslog = 0
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 1000
        time server = Yes
        hostname lookups = Yes
        logon path = \\THELMA\%U\.profiles
        logon drive = U:
        logon home = \\THELMA\%U
        domain logons = Yes
        os level = 33
        domain master = Yes
        wins proxy = Yes
        wins server = 127.0.0.1
        wins support = Yes
        ldap ssl = no
        idmap uid = 10000-20000
        idmap gid = 10000-20000
        admin users = root, administrator
        hosts allow = 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0
        profile acls = Yes
        hide dot files = No

The Member Server (Louise) acts as a File Server and was working until I
started messing with it. One odd symptom is that in the swat Status
Windows shares for that user show up as delilah$, the name of another
machine on the network.

[global]
        workgroup = ATLANTA
        server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)
        security = DOMAIN
        password server = THELMA 192.168.1.24 *
        passdb backend = tdbsam
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
        log level = 1
        syslog = 0
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 1000