[Samba] Samba Domain Crontroller migration

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 12:38:05 GMT 2008

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 9:15 AM, Rafael Santos <rafael at games.com> wrote:
> My actual server is a Samba-3 PDC with a non-LDAP backend, using smbpasswd.
> It has users shares and profiles on it.
> Migrating from a old server to a new server what steps?

There is some good information here:
http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=419048&seqNum=3

> - Keep users and machines (copy smbpasswd file to new server? useradd and
> groupadd again?)

copy the /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow, and /etc/group from the old to the new.

> - Keep profile and share permissions

use rsync to sync files after you have the /etc/password ... files the same

> Make the old server as BDC is the best way?

May not be the case in your situation.

> What steps to do that without desktop users interaction?

Make sure the SID is the same. And you probably want to set the net
bios name and ip address to the same as the old after you have
verified that samba works as expected. I would do this on a network
(with samba and 1 client) that is not connected to your live network.

John