[Samba] New domain, Samba PDC, tdbsam, where are the groups?

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Thu Jun 26 13:23:28 GMT 2008

On Thursday 26 June 2008 05:05:40 Mark H. Wood wrote:
> I'm setting up a new domain with Samba 3.0.30 as the PDC using the
> tdbsam backend.  'net group' yields an empty list, which is consistent
> with the cautious appoach that Samba takes:  don't do anything
> automagically.  But, a new Windows PDC will come online with several
> well-known domain users and groups.  Did I miss the step where I run
> some stock script that creates these expected objects?

Mark,

Please point us at the documentation you have been following.  If our
documentation is wrong it has to be fixed.

Did you check Samba3-ByExample? Did you check the example networks that are
fully documented? One of these may be close to your requirements. You can
find this book at:

	1) Your local technical book store
	2) On-line in html:  http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba3-ByExample/
	3) PDF: http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba3-ByExample.pdf

With recent samba 3.0.x releases you need to create the windows group mappings
manually.  This is documented in the Samba3-HOWTO - also available from the
Samba web site.

The commands to create the group mappings are:

net groupmap add unixgroup=example ntgroup="Domain Example" type=domain

It is not clear to me what you are asking. Do you mean that the Windows PDC
automatically provides well-known groups, while Samba does not? If so, I have
answered your question.  If this is not what you mean, please help us to
understand the problem better.

Cheers,
John T.