[Samba] Still no joy using "print command" with 3.0.30

Stuart Reedy stu at coe.uky.edu
Thu Jun 26 11:43:07 GMT 2008

The saga continues: I still can't get Samba 3.0.30 to use the "print
command"

I did a clean install of Slackware 11, then compiled Samba 3.0.30 from
source using:

./configure
make
make install

I set up a printer, replaced lp with a script that writes its command
line to a file, and set:

print command = lp -H hold -d %p %s

Printing from a Windows XP machine using \\hostname\printername prints
the job via CUPS, bypassing the "print command."  When I issue the print
command from a shell on the Linux Samba server, the command line is
written to the file (as expected).

I am completely baffled.

Is there any help out there?

Happy Friday Eve!
Stu...

Stuart Reedy wrote:
> Greetings once again,
>
> I am still having trouble with the "print command" option in 3.0.30.
>
> In our computer lab, we force CUPS to print the jobs on hold, using:
>
> print command = lp -H hold -d %p %s
>
> This worked well with the Slackware packages of Samba 3.0.28 and CUPS
> 1.1.23.  When I upgraded Samba to 3.0.30, the jobs were no longer queued
> on hold, but printed immediately.
>
> To troubleshoot the problem, I wrote a script that copies the command
> line to a file, then replaced "lp" with this script.
>
> With 3.0.28 the script writes its output to the file and the job never
> prints.  With 3.0.30 there is no output from the script and CUPS prints
> the job.
>
> In an effort be a good citizen, I removed the Slackware distribution of
> Samba, then compiled it from source, using:
>
> ./configure --enable-cups --enable-static=no --enable-shared=yes
> --with-fhs --with-acl-support=yes --with-automount --prefix=/usr
> --localstatedir=/var --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin
> --with-lockdir=/var/cache/samba --sysconfdir=/etc
> --with-configdir=/etc/samba --with-privatedir=/etc/samba/private
> --with-swatdir=/usr/share/swat --with-smbmount --with-quotas
> --with-syslog --with-utmp --with-libsmbclient --with-winbind
>
> Still no joy.  CUPS immediately prints jobs and the specified "print
> command" seems to be ignored.
>
> I would greatly appreciate any help that folks may wish to offer.

> Here are the details, in case they are important:
>
> Slackware 11.0 using Linux kernel 2.4.34.5.
> CUPS is the Slackware package of 1.1.23.
>
> /etc/samba/smb.conf looks like:
>
> [global]
>         workgroup = ITC
>         server string = Samba Server
>         passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
>         unix password sync = Yes
>         ldap ssl = no
>         hosts allow = 172.20., 127.0.0.1
>         ea support = Yes
>
> [printers]
>         comment = All Printers
>         path = /var/spool/samba
>         printable = Yes
>         browseable = No
>
> [test]
>         path = /var/spool/samba
>         read only = No
>         printable = Yes
>         print command = lp -H hold -d %p %s
>         printer name = test
>         oplocks = No
>         share modes = No

Stuart Reedy          Working hard for a great university!
stu at coe.uky.edu
859 257-7966