[Samba] Samba LDAP and Ubuntu

Marcio Merlone marcio.merlone at a1.ind.br
Tue Jun 24 12:38:39 GMT 2008

Gilberto Nunes escreveu:
> I install samba and LDAP on Ubuntu Server 7.04.
> I using smbldap-tools...
> However, when I reboot the system, the Ubuntu server don't work more...
> It's stalled on services initialize...
> I notice that the file nsswitch.conf on /etc, have this look:
>
> passwd:          files ldap
> group:           files ldap
> shadow:          files
>

> When I change this lines to this:
>
> passwd:          files
> group:           files
> shadow:          files
>
> All work fine! So, the system booting normaly...

It is a known bug, I found on a bugzilla somewhere. The bug consists
that the booting process needs the ldap server before it gets started.
So, the workaround, for now, is to have a slave ldap server which you
can use at least for booting. In my /etc/ldap.conf I have:

# grep host /etc/ldap.conf
host 127.0.0.1 192.168.0.2

Obviously, 192.168.0.2 is another server on the network which is a slave
for localhost. This way the booting process will try localhost and then
192.168.0.2 and boots ok. I am not sure even if it really needs to be a
real slave, but I happen to have a real slave on my net, so I had no
problem.

Good luck

--
Marcio Merlone