[Samba] memory optimization for Samba

Mon Jun 23 07:14:02 GMT 2008

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 12:14:59PM +0530, Prateek.Mathur at lntinfotech.com wrote:
>         Thanks for ur reply. My major constraint is the RAM.
> Also i want to know weather samba has been ported to embedded targets with
> such constraints(RAM) and what is the minimun RAM requirement for samba
> 3.2.

That's difficult to say, as the exact RAM requirements very
much depend on the actual client actions. If I remember
correctly, last time I measured it an idle client added
roughly 300k memory footprint to the running system. I did
not measure though how much just starting Samba was.

> If you can guide me towards any good samba 3.2 installation/internals or
> optimization tutorials will be of some help to me.

For installation, there's tons of stuff around via
www.samba.org. For internals, ask on samba-technical or join
the #samba-technical channel on irc.freenode.net.

Volker