[Samba] memory optimization for Samba

Mon Jun 23 06:21:19 GMT 2008

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 10:57:46AM +0530, Prateek.Mathur at lntinfotech.com wrote:
>         I am new to samba internals. I have to port samba on an embedded
> target with strict memory constraints. I want to weather or not Samba can
> be optimized for smaller memory footprints and if yes how?  Can samba be
> installed by removing some packages or is there any other version
> available for embedded targets?
> Any detail provided will be of great help.

Right now we're pretty monolithic, sorry. What is more
constrained in your environment? Disk or RAM? We've put
quite a bit of effort into reducing the dynamic memory
requirements with 3.2, but our disk footprint is still way
larger than it strictly needs to be. We're working towards
using more shared libraries for common components, but this
is not fully done yet. We'd appreciate help here :-)

Volker