[Samba] Re: WINS server looses election irregular in a heterogeneous network

Giulio Orsero giulioo at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 18:23:00 GMT 2008

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 3:24 PM, Timo Meinen <timomeinen at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hallo Helmut,
>

> It's really curious, because if I restart "my" samba server, it
> _always_ wins the election. The problem arises, if the samba server is
> some hours online.

Same issue.

I put the following in cron:

#!/bin/sh
PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/sbin
nmblookup -M -- - 2>&1 | grep  "IP address of my samba server"  >/dev/null 2>&1
if [ $? != 0 ]; then
        nmblookup -M -- -|mail -s "Force master browser election" "my email"
        /usr/bin/smbcontrol nmbd force-election
fi

The smbcontrol command has the same effect as restarting samba
(election is won).

Then I tell the person using the PC I see in the email to turn off the
"browser" service in his/her XP to avoid the same issue in the future.

giulioo at pobox.com