[Samba] samba oplocks not breaking

Fri Jun 20 07:45:00 GMT 2008

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 02:09:22PM +1000, Brian May wrote:
> I am having (weird) issues with XFS, in that open(...) on certain files
> takes 45 seconds to return. After the file has been opened, the next
> file in the same directory takes 45 seconds. If the file was recently
> opened it returns immediately.
>
> I have raised this on several mailing lists, see:
>
> <http://lists.luv.asn.au/wws/arc/luv-main/2008-06/msg00143.html>
> <http://oss.sgi.com/archives/xfs/2008-06/msg00210.html>
> <http://www.archivum.info/linux-fsdevel@vger.kernel.org/2008-06/msg00337.html>
>
> So far it would appear to be Samba is not releasing the oplock when
> another process tries to break it.

If both processes are Samba, the kernel oplock break
mechanism should not be involved at all. At least it is
supposed to work so that the oplock break is done with
messages between the smbds. Kernel oplocks are only for
interop with NFS and local unix processes. So if you're
seeing kernel oplock breaks for files just held by Samba,
Samba has a bug. If you can reproduce it, please file a bug
at bugzilla.samba.org and upload a debug level 10 log of
both smbd processes involved. Please also with "debug hires
timestamps = yes".

Volker