[Samba] CIFS VFS errors on strtoUCS in messages log

Günter Kukkukk linux at kukkukk.com
Wed Jun 18 01:47:40 GMT 2008

Am Dienstag, 17. Juni 2008 schrieb D G Teed:
> I have little idea what actions this relates to,
> but I see about 200 or more of these errors each day
> in the messages log file:
>
> May 29 15:55:41 mima kernel:  CIFS VFS: strtoUCS: char2uni of -127 returned
> -22
>
> No one has complained of a problem.  Does anyone know what
> it signifies?
>
> --Donald

the function strtoUCS() is used to convert local pathname/filename characters
to UCS unicode (2 bytes/char), to be used on the wire against a server
which is supporting that char encoding.
The kernel function char2uni() is used to convert each local char to UCS
unicode. In case of error, it returns -EINVAL (== -22).
Note:
  In that error case, the failing character is replaced by an
  UCS question mark "?" (0x003f)!

 - what kind of local character encoding (utf-8, ...) are you using?
 - have you used the mount option "iocharset=..." to overwrite that encoding?
 - what pathnames/filenames are used when that log msg is written?

Cheers, Günter