[Samba] Samba 3 with OpenLDAP multimaster or Fedora-DS

Charlie medievalist at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 20:39:51 GMT 2008

Lots of folks have samba 3 running over OpenLDAP.  Syncrepl is what
I'd use if I was setting it up today, but I have a very reliable and
mature implementation already running slurpd, so I am going to stick
with that for the moment.

As for multi-master, I agree with Zeilinga's comments on LDUP.  Google
for "multimaster considered harmful" or read
http://www.openrowley.com/2006/10/05/is-multi-master-replication-really-harmful/
if you don't know what I'm talking about.

We have one PDC and WINS server per physical site, which is more
reliable and fault-tolerant than anything else I've tried, but it does
make LDAP configuration a bit dicey since the Samba Team doesn't yet
understand why anyone would want to combine a unified authentication
infrastructure with geographically localized network control.  Setting
up domain trusts with our configuration is tricky.

--Charlie