[Samba] Windows xp is waking up NAS for every 30 minutes with NBSS session service packets

Kandukuru_Suresh at emc.com Kandukuru_Suresh at emc.com
Tue Jun 17 13:35:28 GMT 2008

Dear All,

    Sorry to bothering you. I am beginner to samba. Please help me
regarding the below problem.

    while I am testing my NAS disk standby(sleep) mode, I noticed
windows xp (Professional version 2002 SP2) PC on the network is sending
NBSS session service packets for every 30 minutes  to NAS and this
causing the parent smbd in NAS to spawn  worker smbd and this  smbd is
accessing  some of the files on disk(
group_mapping.tdb,account_policy.tdb,shar_info.tdb) and causing spinup.

On this XP computer I have closed all network connections and already
disabled the automatic searching for new network shares. Nevertheless,
every 30 minutes the system idle process (PID 0) initiates a connection
the  to netbios-ssn port on the NAS.

I have tried with another windows xp PC .it is also behaving the same
manner.
Windows vista ultimate is not giving any problem like this.

I have two questions here?.
1) Why and for what windows  xp is sending these packets?.

2) Is there a way to handle these packets at NAS samba side?. like
patches are available,

Thanks in advance.
Suresh