[Samba] Samba4, multi-domain Forest and Unix ID mapping

Trever L. Adams trever.adams at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 18:59:47 GMT 2008

Charlie wrote:
> When you say "forest" are you referring to a user authentication
> database implementing multiple linked lists that do not share a common
> root?

First, thank you for responding. I must also say I have been out of
Windows land for some time. I last really messed with Windows Networking
around NT 4.0. By Forest, I mean:
"At the top of the structure is the Forest - the collection of every
object, its attributes, and rules (attribute syntax) in the AD. The
forest holds one or more transitive, trust-linked Trees. A tree holds
one or more Domains and domain trees, again linked in a transitive trust
hierarchy. Domains are identified by their DNS name structure, the
namespace."
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Directory#Forests.2C_trees.2C_and_domains)

So, I am looking for something like:
family1.example.com (uids=1000.1999, for example)
family2.example.com (uids=2000.2999)
family3.example.com (uids=3000.3999)
family4.example.com (uids=4000.4999)
family5.example.com (uids=5000.5999)
family6.example.com (uids=6000.6999)

Where each is a separate domain that trusts the other, and is within one
forest/tree. Also, they must use something like idmap_ldap (or the
equivalent) in Samba4 and that mapping must be valid and usable so that
people in each domain can log in on boxes in the other domains as Linux
and Windows users and share files and printers without uid collisions or
other such problems. The only exception is root (uid=0) as each family
may or may not want root to be shared. Again, I am using the family
example as it fits even the business cases. I am hoping that Linux users
can login doing something like windows (user at domain or domain\user).
> Samba 3 & 4 do indeed incorporate "idmapping" which works pretty much
> as you describe.  The command syntax has grown a lot recently and has
> not yet been fully documented, but I'd say it's quite powerful.  If
> you can get your interdomain trusts set up right I think you can do
> what you want, but it's probably going to be dependent on how well you
> can control access to your directory backend.

Well, I once read that, at least at one point, idmap didn't work in this
setup. I was wondering if it has changed (as I can no longer find the
reference). Also, yes, these will all be Samba based domains (Active
Directory style). All clients will likely be Vista Business or Ultimate.
> You haven't specified what directory backend you are running...
> Microsoft AD?  Novell eDirectory?  OpenLDAP?  Sun?  IBM?  Fedora DS?
> There are lots...
>
> --Charlie

Well, Samba 4 so, if it has an internal (I think that has been
abandoned, but not certain) then that, OpenLDAP or Fedora DS will be the
backend. I am leaning toward Fedora DS, but I am not certain and will
accept suggestions.

I hope this corrects and clarifies my question enough that I can get an
accurate response.

This is a forward looking query and I am only interested in Samba 4 as
it must be Active Directory and Windows server free.

Thank you,
Trever Adams