[Samba] winbind, ads member server and pam_mkhomedir

Charlie medievalist at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 20:34:43 GMT 2008

This may depend on the version of samba you are running, and what your
passbd backend is.   I run LDAP, and I've had to turn off all PAM
interaction on my systems since I upgraded to 3.0.25+.  I got around
the problem of missing home directories by adding a stanza like this
to smb.conf:

[homes]
        comment = %U Home Folder
        read only = No
        browseable = No
        root preexec = /bin/bash /var/lib/samba/scripts/mkhomedir.sh %U

The mkhomedir script just creates the user home directory if it isn't
already there.

Incidentally, pam_mkhomedir.so, when it works (there are lots of
broken versions around) always creates the home directory as specified
in the user's POSIX homeDirectory field - it's not going to ask samba
where to create it, it's going to look at the homeDirectory associated
with the userid.

--Charlie