[Samba] Home Lan computer browser(s)

Charlie medievalist at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 18:11:42 GMT 2008

>        For the box that is the samba server, presumably the one that is
> always on, Just set the os level higher than that of the other boxes. Browse
> election rules are discussed at:
>
> http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/samba2/book/ch07.html Setting os level
> greater than 32 will insure that your samba box will win the election over
> all Win boxes.

As O'Reilly notes on their site, that book is out of date.  Do not use
that book, get one of the newer books, unless you aren't running any
version of windows newer than Win98 Second Edition.

As I understand it, samba by default announces itself as an NT4.9
server on the network.  Windows XP announces itself as NT5.2 or
greater.  Therefore, setting OS level will not matter if there is a
Windows XP machine with file & print sharing turned on, because 5.2.0
is greater than 4.9.255.

Hopefully somebody will correct me if I'm wrong; I haven't actually
examined the source code.  But I think you have to set "announce
version = 5.9" if you really want to always win browser elections.

> Weedhopper, just read http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/samba2/book/ch07.html
> and all will become clear ;-)

No, David, look here: http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596002565/

The book you are recommending (which was excellent in its time) has
been superseded.

--Charlie