[Samba] Mounting Samba Share using linux login

David Kuntadi d.kuntadi at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 10:45:45 GMT 2008

Windows users are able to mount samba share using windows. But for
linux user, we need to create credentials file, to mount samba share
e.g:

//servername/file_store /home/user/Desktop/file_storage smbfs
credentials=/root/.smbcredentials

Is it possbile to change the credentials to something like windows
users (for example credentials=unix user) so as the mounted share
would depend on who login the linux box?

This is important as I want to let user change their own password, and
keeping .smbcredentials in user's home directory would be insecure.
But to keep the .smbcredentials at root would mean to give user admin
rights in order to change password file.

Regards,
David