[Samba] WINS server looses election irregular in a heterogeneous network

Timo Meinen timomeinen at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 11 08:52:06 GMT 2008

Dear Samba-Users,

I have to administer a Samba WINS Server in a heterogenous network. It's a
student hostel with about 200 mixed (Windows, Linux, Mac OS X) computers. We
have a DHCP, which delivers the WINS-Server address to the clients. I don't
have access to the clients.

The problem is, that the WINS-Server (Samba 3.0.27) looses the
Master-Browser election irregulary. I can't configure Samba a way, that
it keeps the MSB.

Example from the log.nmbd:

===
[2008/06/09 22:15:45, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_incomingdgrams.c:process_local_master_announce(309)
process_local_master_announce: Server GUERO at IP 10.0.80.221 is announcing
itself as a local master browser for workgroup WODANLAN and we think we are
master. Forcing election.
[2008/06/09 22:15:45, 2]
nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:unbecome_local_master_browser(280)
unbecome_local_master_browser: unbecoming local master for workgroup
WODANLAN on subnet 10.0.80.5
[2008/06/09 22:15:45, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:unbecome_local_master_success(149)
*****

Samba name server SHODAN has stopped being a local master browser for
workgroup WODANLAN on subnet 10.0.80.5

*****
===

SHODAN is the name of the server. Today it's GUERO, who is winning the
election. Yesterday, it was another computer.

When I restart the smbd/nmdb it wins the election and the network browsing
operates normally. Is there any way to be sure, that SHODAN keeps the MSB?

At the moment I have a cron, which restarts the smb-server every 30 minutes,
so that it wins the election and becomes the MSB, but that's really a nasty
thing.

This is my configuration:

smb.conf:
===