[Samba] Samba and XP

Scott Lovenberg scott.lovenberg at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 05:30:09 GMT 2008

Greg J. Zartman, P.E. wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 09:38:37PM +0200, Deon Steyn wrote:
>>>     Is it possible to run Samba on Xp Pro
>>
>> No.
>>

> You could run Samba in a *nix VM sitting on top of a XP host.
> Performance is going to suck, but it can be done.
>
> Greg
If you go this route, make sure to set XP performance setting for
background services rather than programs.

OT:
*<rant>*
/I'll never understand Windows memory management... it seems like the
more hardware you throw at it, the less it uses.  I've had programs that
I haven't used hours cached in memory while I'm just short of thrashing
with VMs running, and by the sounds of the harddrive it's not doing much
of a read ahead.  Sorry, just wasted about an entire day babysitting
virtual machines that moved at the same pace with 256 MB RAM as a full
gig, since they were starved while RAM essentially sat idle.  I/O bound
for linear reads on separate channels, and yet a gig of RAM sits as
cache for stale programs from hours ago/.
*</rant>*