[Samba] roaming user profiles do not transfer all settings

Leandro Tracchia ltracchia at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 20:10:48 GMT 2008

the profile is set as roaming under the My Computer -> Advanced -> User
Profiles Settings. there are no local user accounts on either client except
the the local administrator.

this is what i've done so far:

i've created a temporary domain user account and logged on with that account
after joining the client machine to the domain with the  local administrator
account. i assigned a new wallpaper and placed some files on the desktop and
then logged off. i then joined another client machine with its local
administrator account and then logged on with the same temporary domain user
account i created above. at this point i expected to see the wallpaper and
files i had assigned and created on the first client machine. the files were
present, BUT the wallpaper was not kept.

i have a feeling that ntuser.dat is not being properly updated. ls -l
command on ntuser.dat shows the updated time when i log off the client, but
there are also other files like ntuser.ini,ntuser.dat.LOG,ntuser.pol that
are also updated. i want to look at the ntuser.dat.LOG but it is binary...
also i get a desktop.ini file in the startup folder everytime i logon.

i have a feeling this can be fixed easily, but this is my first time playing
and testing with roaming profiles and so far it has not been easy for me at
all.

anyone have any more clues????