[Samba] XP SP3 and posix locking

Adam Williams awilliam at mdah.state.ms.us
Mon Jun 9 15:14:00 GMT 2008

I'm getting the read-only errors in MS Word 2003, and I'm using Symantec
Endpoint Protection 11 for anti-virus.  One of my techs in his notes has
reports of read-only errors going back to January 4, 2008.  Samba 3.0.28
was released on Dec 10, 2007, and I would of upgraded to it soon after,
so I think a code change in the release of samba 3.0.28 broke
something.  we've noticed it happens when you open a file, and click
save, it saves fine, and when youc lick on save again, that is when it
goes read only.  http://www.lancs.ac.uk/iss/windows/word-readonly.htm
says that it is because windows desktop search 3.01 will index the file
after saving it and that makes the computer set it as read only.  i
uninstalled windows desktop search 3.01 but that didn't help.