[Samba] lazy samba server?

George He georgehe2007 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 14:31:51 GMT 2008

On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 5:11 PM, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 5:08 PM, George He <georgehe2007 at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> No. If you set the PDC to be a wins server then add this ip as the
> >> wins server in every windows client the windows machines will find the
> >> domain controller.
> >>
> >> But that should work. Have you added the proper format of a domain
> >> controller?
> >>
> >> Here is a very old example I dug up on how we did this years ago:
> >>
> >> 10.116.15.13      RADIMGDC0          #PRE #DOM:RADIMG
> >> 10.116.15.13      "RADIMG         \0x1B" #PRE
> >>
> >> So RADIMGDC0 was the PDC on the RADIMG DOMAIN. The "" part has to be
> >> exactly 20 characters.
> >
> > sorry John I wasn't clear. When I say lmhosts files, I meant the lmhosts
> > files on the windows clients.
> > The two sample lines you put above do look like what I put in my lmhosts
> > file, except that I don't understand the "exactly 20 characters" part.
> > Since the sample file lmhosts.sam in C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc
> doesn't
> > say this, I just listed the two servers I have in this file like this:
> >
> > 1.1.1.1 linux1 #PRE #DOM:MYDOM # this is my PDC
> > 2.2.2.2 linux2 #PRE #DOM:MYDON # this is my file server
> >
> > Is it possible the "exactly 20 characters" rule was good only years ago?
> >
> I am sorry this is 15 before the \0x1B and this is the name of the domain.
>
> See here:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/150800

Thanks John.
I tried to add the line with exactly 15 characters, like this
1.1.1.1 "MYDOM          \0x1b" #PRE
but I still have the same problem.
And when I use nbtstat -c, it listed
MYDOM   (1C)  GROUG   -1
instead of
MYDOM (1B)    Unique -1
so I guess something has changed over time...

Anybody has any ideas about those "Autoenrollment" event errors (ID=15)
listed in event viewer?

George