[Samba] samba/network performance

Sascha tdy_shadow at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 9 05:36:17 GMT 2008

Hi list,

we're having some problems with our Samba Server based on Debian Eth with Samba version 3.0.24. When a user copies a file to a share the performance is just about 10-15 MBits/s. Doesn't matter what OS the client uses. The server itself has a 1 G connection. Both are directly connected to the switch so there couldn't be a buggy cable/box between them. When i measure the speed with any other program, e.g. netio, it goes up to full bandwidth so there is no problem with the OS network configuration. I guess it's a problem in my configuration, but i can't find it.

Thanks for help and best regards.

[global]
        workgroup = WORKGROUP
        netbios name = SRV001
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_KEEPALIVE
        name resolve order = wins hosts bcast
        wins proxy = yes
        wins support = yes
        time server = yes
        unix charset = ISO8859-1
        display charset = ISO8859-1
        dos charset = CP850

        load printers = no
        show add printer wizard = no

        case sensitive = no
        max xmit = 8192
        getwd cache = yes
        use sendfile = no
        deadtime = 15
        max open files = 100000
        hide files = desktop.ini

        guest ok = yes

        os level = 99
        preferred master = yes
        local master = no
        domain master = no
        domain logons = no
        admin users = root, "@Domain Admins"

        ldap admin dn = cn=Manager,dc=test01,dc=intern
        ldap ssl = start_tls
        ldap delete dn = no
        ldap suffix = ou=SAM,dc=test01,dc=intern
        ldap user suffix = ou=Workers,ou=People
        ldap group suffix = ou=Groups
        ldap machine suffix = ou=Machines
        ldap passwd sync = yes

        pam password change = yes

        security = users
        passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://ldap001.nordenham.intern
        encrypt passwords = yes
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        log level = 9 vfs:2
        debug pid = yes
        max log size = 20480
        interfaces = eth0 lo
        bind interfaces only = yes
        hosts allow = 127.0.0.1 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0
        hosts deny = 0.0.0.0/0
        map acl inherit = yes

        logon drive = I:
        logon path = \\%N\%U\.profile