[Samba] XP SP3 and posix locking

Michael Schmitt mschmitt at unixkiste.org
Sat Jun 7 20:47:03 GMT 2008

Hi,

Am Freitag, den 06.06.2008, 15:08 +0200 schrieb Dirk Kastens:
> Hi,
>
> L.P.H. van Belle wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Im running XP SP3 here on samba 2.0.24 and 2.0.28 and no problems here.

2.0.xx I hope this is a typo and 3.0.xx is meant?

> It works with local filesystems. I does not work with NFS-mounted
> filesystem.
>
> Regards,
> Dirk

I need to agree (to a certain degree) to L.P.H. van Belles mail. I
tested it with a current WinXP SP3 and all other security Patches with a
fairly old Samba (3.0.14a, Debian sarge, oldstable, will be upgraded in
the maybe not so near future though *g*) with some via samba shared nfs
exports. But here are symbolic links used to link to the files on the
nfs export:

/mnt/nfs		#the mounted nfs export
/pub/samba		#the samba share
/pub/samba/old_data     #a symbolic link
/mnt/nfs/data		#the target of the link above

So after all this may be the difference AND a workaround for Dirks
problem. I did check the samba configuration, posix locking is not set,
default is used (maybe the default changed?).

regards
Michael