[Samba] lazy samba server?

George He georgehe2007 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 19:26:48 GMT 2008

Hi,

I recently installed samba (3.0.28) on a linux box as a PDC. The networks
has about 20 windows xp professional and a few Linux (all Fedora 8).
Basically the server works OK but I have run into a few problems:

Initially windows roaming profile was not configured. At that time,
sometimes when a user tries to log on a windows machines, it would say
"server not found" and the user wouldn't be able to logon.

Later on, roaming profile was configured (and the user profiles are stored
on another Linux server), then sometimes when a user tries to log on a
windows, it would say the roaming profile was not found and a local profile
would be used, or sometimes it would say "your local profile can not be
found" and a temporary profile was used. Up to now, this problem can be
resolved by restarting the windows.

Both problems do not always happen, so users can use the computers with no
problem most of the time. But it is irritating when it happens. I thought I
might have installed too much stuff on the PDC, since I checked almost all
of the optional package to be installed when Fedora 8 was installed. But the
PDC was only used for user athentication and it is not busy at all. I have
tried to increase the priority of the smb and nmb processes, but it seems to
have no effect.

Anybody know what might have caused the problems? Any suggestion is
appreciated.

George