[Samba] XP SP3 and posix locking

Dirk Kastens dkastens at uos.de
Fri Jun 6 13:14:08 GMT 2008

Hi,

Volker Lendecke wrote:

> Well, re-export of NFS-imported directories is not
> recommended and one of the exceptions to "you should
> never..." :-)

You should not NFS-export NFS-mounted filesystems. I don't know why you
shouldn't create a samba share on an NFS-filesystem. Our samba servers
are running for many years with NFS-filesystems. That never caused any
problems.

> If you have NetApp installed, why re-export via Samba?
> License issues?

No. CIFS on the NetApp only works with Active Directory. We use LDAP for
user authentication so we have to keep our samba servers.

Regards,
Dirk