[Samba] multiple smb commands (some non AndX) in one packet

Thu Jun 5 15:24:12 GMT 2008

On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 10:09:24AM -0500, Shirish Pargaonkar wrote:
> I downloaded ltp-full-20080131.tgz few months back and
> built it and using network/nfs/nfs_fsstress/fsstress.

Ok, this might give Steve French something tasty for the
weekend :-)

> I just recreated the problem a while ago against XP
> server, this time there were single commands per tcp
> packet.  So I think the problem is server at some point
> just does not respond to cifs client in time (for whatever
> reasons) for cifs client to decide to reconnect declaring
> server not responding.

The question is -- is theres still traffic going back and
forth, or is everything stalled? If there's still traffic,
it might be necessary to fix the timeout handling of the
individual smb inside cifsfs to look at whether the server
is alive vs an individual timeout. Much like what Windows
does with the SMBecho requests.

> I suspect the same for samba server.  In case of samba
> server, I had turned on log level to 3 to see whether any
> messages are logged by samba server as to why it is not
> responding to cifs client smb requests but found nothing
> significant in the log file that was generated.

A sniff of this might still be very valuable, even if it is
huge.

Volker