[Samba] samba GPFS and HSM?

e.koutsandreou at optusnet.com.au e.koutsandreou at optusnet.com.au
Thu Jun 5 07:27:43 GMT 2008

Hi -

I was wondering if any of you may be able to point me in the right direction.

I am in the process of designing a fairly large fileserver solution in an MS Active directory environment.

I have setup and tested ctdb samba, however, after several discussions with a couple of my colleagues, i am now considering a more vanilla flavour of samba.  The key features the solution requires are:

•	CIFS protocol (with the best ntfs ACL support possible)
•	GPFS (for many terabytes of data)
•	HSM (specifically TSM)

Questions:
1.  Does the samba version provided in the RHEL5 distro support migrated files (TSM HSM) and GPFS?
2.  Do the latest releases of samba (source code) support my requirements?
     - and, what options should be included when compiling from source?

3.  Or should i just stick with CTDB samba?

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated

Best Regards

Evan