[Samba] Samba & AutoCAd 2005

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Thu Jun 5 04:17:43 GMT 2008

Rahul Tidke wrote:
> Hello,
>   I have same setup here; all the CAD standards and profiles are
> loaded in to AutoCAD using SAMBA shares, CAD project files are also
> accessed from SAMBA shares. This generates very heavy traffic over
> network and this is I/O bound operation; you should have sufficient
> RAM at both server and client side. Your AutoCAD should be update with
> all service packs and CAD fixes released by Autodesk. The problem you
> are talking about should be related to AutoCAD or possibly some
> network issues and not with SAMBA; as this happens when user executes
> certain command.
>  Make sure that AutoCAD is configured properly in case you are using
> some CAD standards/customizations and file paths should not be missing.
Interesting.  I had a complaint today about AutoCAD being slow to access
files.  Once in a while users see very slow access when accessing files
from the server.  Apparently this is particular to AutoCAD.

I am waiting on more information, so that's all I know at this point.

--Yan

--
  o__

"I worry about my child and the Internet all the time, even though she's too young to have logged on yet. Here's what I worry about. I worry that 10 or 15 years from now, she will come to me and say 'Daddy, where were you when they took freedom of the press away from the Internet?'"
--Mike Godwin, Electronic Frontier Foundation