[Samba] multiple smb commands (some non AndX) in one packet

Wed Jun 4 19:34:42 GMT 2008

On Wed, Jun 04, 2008 at 02:20:45PM -0500, Shirish Pargaonkar wrote:
> No, I am talking about multiple smb commands in the same tcp frame and
> not necessarily andx commands.
> I see a tcp frame with multiple smb commands going over to Windows XP
> server and the server either responds to the first command and ignores rest
> or does not respond and cifs client reconnects thinking server is not
> responding.
> I see the same problem with samba server (cifs client
> reconnecting after logging
> server does not respond or No response for/to cmd), just that I have not been
> able to capture the wireshark trace successfully (unpredictable timing and
> too much traffic, wireshark dropping packets etc.).
>
> cifs client does not do this (bundling multiple smb
> commands) conciously, I think tcp does club them together
> and if tcp is doing that, I do not know why and how to
> prevent it and if it can't be prevented, would be nice if
> samba server can tackle them.

This sounds like a *very* weird bug in either the client
framing or XP. If the client does correct smb framing, i.e.
the 4-byte length header, Samba should really not have a
problem with it. And I very much doubt that XP has a bug
here.

What client is that?

Volker