[Samba] Samba and Vista profile probs

harmus harmus at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 18:31:57 GMT 2008

Yes, if you're using roaming profiles Vista will automatically accept your
login (if your PDC is configured correctly, check the firewall on the
clients and server also, write/read access to the profile for the current
user, but i guess these things were already said here but I'm only replying
to your last question without having read most of the rest)

The profile is not needed to be recreated, it already exists on the server.
If you didn't copy it, copy profile from your vista to your home folder
(it's surely better to put it in a separate folder, but OK) without
NTuser.dat and ntuser.forgotextension otherwise it won't work! And don't
forget to reset the user rights on all te files!!

Then do the "CompatibleRUPSecurity"=dword:00000001 fix, but don't do the
"WaitForNetwork"=dword:00000000 if there are profiles bigger than a certain
size (i don't know the size, but when using thunderbird mailboxes > 500 mb,
which can happen after a couple of years, Vista will say 'profile not loaded
COMPLETELY instead of profile could not be loaded, because it will break the
transfer when it's tired of waiting.

Without deleleting the old SID (after reinstalling your server, or sometimes
when te user is recreated) in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\ you'll get the profile could not be loaded
error. This really sucks and just shouldn't be true, but it is. When i
transferred to Vista from XP this took me 50! hours (with 6 hours of sleep
inbetween) to find it, because it wasn't on google. Vista should have a tool
for this in control panel, because much users won't find this without being
told.

To answer your question, the thing that seems to be changed is the SID, and
if it's changed Vista just won't accept your login. You can be really sure
you can't login after doing a reinstallation!

If you still got questions, ask me, without wanting it I had to become an
expert on this subject because I just coulnd't accept the Vista machines
would'nt work like the XP machines, but now they do! I'll reply as soon as
possible.