[Samba] Group membership confusion, UNIX, nested, and AD

Robert M. Martel - CSU r.martel at csuohio.edu
Tue Jun 3 18:07:50 GMT 2008

Brian Gregorcy wrote:
> Hi Bob,
>
> I recently did something similar, this page helped me the most of
> anything I believe it was section 14.3
>> http://samba.dsmirror.nl/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/idmapper.html

Thank you, I'll be taking a look at that next.  I am just perplexed that
  samba as an AD member server cannot check UNIX groups for membership
while it can otherwise.

> However I think you will need an account with privileges to join
> machines to the domain, ...

I already have the machine in Active Directory and domain users can
access shares on it - they gave me a "Domain Admin" account long enough
to join AD, but not longer.

Bob Martel,System Administrator  I met someone who looks a lot like you
Levin College of Urban Affairs   She does the things you do
Cleveland State University       But she is an IBM
(216) 687-2214
r.martel at csuohio.edu                                -Jeff Lynne