[Samba] wbinfo -u lists ADS users without domain, getent passwd returns only local users

Thomas Leavitt tleavitt at unameits.com
Tue Jun 3 18:09:42 GMT 2008

I'm using Samba/Winbind for single-sign on in a network where Active
Directory is the authoritative authentication source. The active
directory server is Windows 2003 with Services for Unix installed so
that the schema is extended and the management interface has a "Unix
Attributes" tab.

wbinfo -u produces a list of users, without a DOMAIN+ prefix.

getent passwd lists only local users

although

getent passwd username produces the proper info. Same behavior for
groups.

Could SELinux interference  be the problem? This happens even after I
completely disable it, leave the domain, and then rejoin the domain and
restart everything.

Everything is "working", but this strikes me as incorrect behavior.

Here's a dump of my samba config

[global]

        workgroup = BLAH

        realm = BLAHHQ.BLAH-INC.COM

        server string = Samba Server Version %v

        security = ADS

        auth methods = winbind

        password server = BLAH-DC-02.BLAHHQ.BLAH-INC.COM
BLAH-DC-04.BLAHHQ.BLAH-INC.COM

        idmap domains = BLAHHQ.BLAH-INC.COM

        idmap uid = 16777216-33554431

        idmap gid = 16777216-33554431

        template homedir = /home/%U

        template shell = /bin/bash

        winbind separator = +

        winbind enum users = Yes

        winbind enum groups = Yes

        winbind use default domain = Yes

        winbind nss info = sfu

        idmap config BLAHHQ.BLAH-INC.COM:range = 10000-40000

        idmap config BLAHHQ.BLAH-INC.COM:backend = ad

        idmap config BLAHHQ.BLAH-INC.COM:default = yes

        idmap config BLAHHQ.BLAH-INC.COM:schema_mode = sfu

[homes]

        comment = Home Directories

        valid users = BLAHHQ.BLAH-INC.COM+%S

        read only = No

        browseable = No

nsswitch.conf lists "files winbind"

There's nothing particularly exotic going on here, as far as I can tell
(other than the hassle created by SELinux). What am I missing? If y'all
need more info, please tell me.

Regards,

Thomas Leavitt